NewCelica.org Forum banner

youngxlos built engine V2.1

77K views 984 replies 100 participants last post by  youngxlos 
#1 · (Edited)
hey guys, yes I'm in the right section, I have decided to go Turbo.
I don't want super crazy power, I don't want my trans to blow up on me, so 300-350hp would be ideal for my dd Celica.

So a little help, what parts should I keep and what parts should I sell???
here is what I'm thinking about keeping
old valve-train, MWR retainers, Super Tech valve, Eibach valve spring, and piper stage 3, no port and polish i don't think ill need it, I don't want much hp
as for the bottom end, Ill keep the knifed edge crank, and the cw oil pump gear.

pistons I was thinking Mahle 10.5:1 or should i go 9.0:1????
and as for the turbo i was thinking about going with the GT2871R
Ill def upgrade the fuel pump to 255 instead of 190
as for rods MWR should be fine for that power level right???
ummm do i need a fuel return system????
that's all i can think off, guide me in the right direction please :gap:

See less See more
#2 ·
hey guys, yes I'm in the right section, I have decided to go boost.
I don't want super crazy power, I don't want my trans to blow up on me, so 300-350hp would be ideal for my dd Celica.

old valve-train, MWR retainers, Super Tech valve, Eibach valve spring, and piper stage 3, no port and polish i don't think ill need it, I don't want much hp
as for the bottom end, Ill keep the knifed edge crank, and the cw oil pump gear.

maybe I am missing something here but if you are willing to spend out on ^ above list of parts then would it not be just as cheap to finish the N/A build which you already have almost everything for? :confused:

I definitely want to see you get your celi back on the road, whatever route you choose.

#3 ·
I'd go with the 9:1 Mahle's. 10.5:1 is definitely too high. If I were to do mine again, I'd go with 9:1 rather than 10:1.

Stock rods will be fine.

For fuel, you'll want the 255 lph pump and MWR 630cc injectors. You can get away without the return system and can add it later when you want to turn up the boost.

Turbo selection is somewhat debatable. For your goals, I'd go with the the 48 trim GT2871R that I have or the GT2860RS. I have similar power goals to you, but can't run as much boost due to higher compression. With 9:1, you could simply run higher boost (which would necessitate a return system) and use the smaller turbo. What you should do is ride in my car and see what you think about it.

For the manifolds and piping, you could go a number of ways. The MWR stuff is super nice, but also super expensive. The big equal-length manifold also seems more suited to bigger external wastegate turbos. The Turbokits.com stuff looks great but I really dislike their intercooler piping setup. That said, it isn't horrible and as long as you get a 3" upper intercooler pipe, you'll be set.

#4 ·
http://www.staticxmotorsports.com/garrettgt2871rturbocharger-woactuator.aspxpretty good price i guess, also could i just buy the turbo and work my away around it, piping and manifold wise???
i dont have 3k to drop all at once.
i was thinking about doing what Jesse did, have the engine build and running and adding the turbo later on. meaning buying parts slowly till the kit is complete

#13 ·
Good luck with what ever route you chose, too bad we won't get to see the V2.0 completed!

if you ever decide to sell the cams, pm me :D

#15 ·
sell your cams and go back to stock. if you are going to sleeve, dont get mahle, get wisecos.

as for compression Jesse is right, higher compression means less boost to make the same power. i think its a trade off. look at the compressor map of the turbo and see what boost gets you to where you want to be

#18 ·
whats wrong with stage 3 cams??? Jesse said it should be fine.
Jesse also told me to stay with stock sleeves and go with Mahle and stay with stock rods.
i know i should search but is the stock head capable of making 350whp??? keep in mind i don't wanna go crazy on the boost side, i wanna make good power at low boost because i want this thing to last

#39 ·
a larger turbo will also spool slower, however... So when looking at low end power, you will be lacking.

As far as the head goes, I believe Smaay's running with a stock head and making over 500whp. I know his cams are stock but i'm not sure about valves and springs. Are you still going to run with the flat face valves? It might help spool time with the 9:1 pistons.

If i'm not mistaken, stage 2 cams are better than 3 for FI because they have a smaller overlap. You don't get as much blow-through and therefore can make more power... but then again, you could probably tune this out with your VVT settings

#20 ·
pistons will be replace no matter what.
but cams will help like Jesse said on my other thread, the cams low lobe kills the stock one so i am sure it should make good power at lower rpm because of the cams, and yes i know i wont use the cams at their full potential but i don't wanna go buy a new set when i can still use this one, i will also have the DD intake manifold so that should help my number also

#27 ·
quick question, say i do go with the GT2860RS could i just tell for say turbokits.com to custom make me a exhaust manifold to fit that turbo?
The t-k.com manifold is designed to work with either the GT2860RS or the GT2871R. They both use the exact same turbine housing. That is provided you get an authentic Garrett turbo. Many of the discount places you see online buy the Garrett CHRA and then stick on aftermarket housings, which are a fraction of the price. They can sell them for less to unsuspecting customers and make more money. That's why I said talk to me before doing anything.
nothing wrong with that, just make sure the block is still in spec.
There's a good machine shop locally that I was going to have him use. I was planning on having him send the block up there to have the rings gapped. They can measure the bores at the same time.

#24 ·
i am going the same route soon, so I will watch this with interest. Good luck youngxlos with this.
A question that may be interesting to the OP too. If I get PFC + datalogic will fit my 03 GTS, no DBW and still be able to use my A/C?

#28 ·
Seems like we are in the same boat, youngxlos, just your pockets are a bit deeper!

Get that GT2871R. I think it will suit you well. Along with the low comp Mahles (given you're in spec, and which ever compression you choose) and you will be where you want I bet. Turbokits.com will sell thier kit WITH the GT2871R complete. It is an available option, so you can ditch the T28 they give in the base kit, like mine.

Also, the question to be answered is 350WHP on stock head? Possible (safely)?

#29 ·
When did Eibach start making valve springs?

Who's building the motor?

hey guys, yes I'm in the right section, I have decided to go boost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.